Daytime vs. Nighttime skin care
- During the day, skin fights off damage-causing pollution and UV light
- At night, skin repairs daily damage and regenerates itself
- Choose products that work with skin’s natural rhythms to achieve your healthiest skin
Our skin is a lot smarter than we give it credit for, we all have a “body clock” that governs a 24-hour cycle known as a circadian rhythm.
Skin plays a significant role in our circadian rhythm. During daylight hours it’s in defense mode, fighting off skin-damaging invaders like UV light and pollution, and defending against free radicals that can contribute to skin damage. At night it shifts into repair mode: it produces antioxidants and recovers from everyday damage, and is best able to absorb the active ingredients in your skin care products.
In short, our skin works as hard as we do – and there’s a lot we can do to help optimize the work it does on a daily basis. To maximize your skin care regimen’s results, choose products featuring active ingredients that will compliment skin’s natural circadian rhythms.
a.m. defense mode
- Cells defend against UV light
- Natural antioxidant protection
- Peak hours: 7:00 am – 11:00 am
p.m. regeneration mode
- Skin renewal rate almost doubles
- Melatonin production rises, repairing UV-induced damage
- Peak hours: 9:00 pm – midnight