Botulinum Toxin Treatment of Underarm Sweating
- Avoid aspirin, Vitamin E, St John’s wort and other dietary supplements.
- Avoid alcohol and Ibuprofen for 2 days.
- Shave underarms and do not use deodorants or antiperspirants for 24 hours before your appointment.
- You may have temporary purple discolouration of the skin after treatment (because of the iodine-starch test) which will wash off over 1-2 days with regular washing.
- Do not massage the treated areas or apply heat on the day of treatment.
- Avoid exercise or activities that cause flushing on the day of treatment including hot tubs, sauna and tanning.
- Gently apply a cool compress or wrapped ice pack to the treated areas for 15 minutes every few hours as needed to reduce discomfort, swelling or bruising up to a few days after treatment. If bruising occurs, this usually resolves within 7-10 days.
- Botulinum toxin treatment usually takes 1 -2 weeks to fully develop and last approximately 6 months.
- Contact the surgery if you feel that you require a touch up after 2-3 weeks.